A vacation is a wonderful thing and after saving, planning and waiting for a year, you are finally here. Enjoying the sandy beaches, beautiful scenery and new culture is really nice, but then, something always seems to come along and try and spoil the fun. If it is about diarrhoea, here are some things to look for and do to save your vacation fun.
Many cases of diarrhoea will normally go away after a few days of taking care of yourself but this is your vacation. With only a limited number of days of fun in the sun, it is important to make the most of your time. Most activities like sight seeing excursions, lying on the beach, shopping, fishing, kayaking and exploring do not usually give you instant access to the bathroom. So what can you do?
WHAT TO DO IMMEDIATELY
- Drink plenty of fluids including water, juices, soda, sports drinks and clear broth (avoid milk, milk products, alcohol and caffeine)
- Give young children frequent sips of an electrolyte rehydration solution like “Pedialyte” or “Infalyte”
- Rest and refrain from strenuous activities
WHEN TO SEE THE DOCTOR
- If children are dehydrated
- If children are three months old or younger or if they are also vomiting
- If you are considering taking an over-the-counter medication for relief
- If you feel fever
- When the stomach pain is not relieved by having a bowel movement
- If you can’t keep up with the fluid loss
- When blood or mucous is present in the stool or if the stool is black
WHAT TO START EATING
When the appetite begins to return, give children the B.R.A.T. diet: Bananas, rice, applesauce and toast, they are readily available in Krabi.
For adults, seek softer, semi-solid, low fiber foods and avoid fatty, greasy or spicy foods.
Remember that diarrhoea can be very serious especially for the most vulnerable such as young and elderly folks. It can lead to more serious problems if not dealt with promptly. You are in a strange and new environment, far from home and your usual resources, so seek help quickly. Most of the clinics in town often deal with this issue and are able to help solve the problem in a quick way.
Many are staffed with doctors, nurses and other medical professionals that usually have a good enough command of English as their second language to ensure adequate communication to solve your concerns. Furthermore, many doctors have other resources to help with other languages. Don’t wait until the situation becomes worse and endangers you or your family’s health.
Vacation time is valuable and a quick solution to the problem of diarrhoea can get you back to having fun and protect your good health too.